Welcome to my BlogSpot. I have created this blog in hopes of inspiring everyone to cook. I have found my inspiration from living in both Southern and Northern California. My influences in flavors have come from family recipes and meals with emphasis on healthy foods, marrying into an Italian family and the ethnic flavors throughout California. There are so many wonderful memories connected to our family dishes as well as new memories in the dishes that have been recently created. My husband, Randy who is recently retired, has been my biggest supporter and inspiration in our kitchen. He is my taster, my sous chef, and has created some really great dishes himself, which will be added to this blog. It is my hope that you too will be inspired to cook and create your own dishes for your loved ones and enjoy the craft of cooking.

One thing I ask of you is if you print out, email and pass out my recipes, please include my name and link.

Be sure to check out my Sweaty Equities blog about the ups and downs of crafty projects and our DIY remodels.
You can find it at http://sweatyequities.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 18, 2013

Whole Grain Banana, Apricot, Cranberry Muffins

I’ve recently learned about the benefits of the ch-ch-ch-chia seed. They digest slowly making you feel full faster. They stabilize your blood sugar levels and are loaded with fiber and other benefits. You can find Chia Seeds in bulk, at about 10 dollars per pound at any whole foods/fresh/organic type of store. My goal is to come up with a few recipes that are delicious and loaded with beneficial ingredients. Today I made these muffins and they turned out great. They are super moist and satisfying, and the best part is how great the house smells. Enjoy the recipe below.


Whole Grain Banana, Apricot, Cranberry Muffins

*¾ Cups Coconut Oil
¾ Cups Brown Sugar
2 Eggs at room temp
½ Cup Sour Cream
¼ Cup Chia Seeds
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Mashed Bananas
2 Cups Flour (see below)
Pecans
Cranberries
Chopped Dried Apricots


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
(For the flour I used ½ cup unbleached flour, ¾ cup Whole wheat, 2 Tablespoons Amaranth flour, ¼ cup Steel Cut Oat Flour, ¼ grinded Bulgar Wheat Flour, and 2 Tablespoons Flaxseed. I have a Vitamix with an attachment the mills whole grains, but I noticed that “Bob’s Organic” carries a large line of milled grains. Feel free to mix in your favorite whole grain flours)
*Coconut Oil is best blended when melted down and blended well with the sugar. At room temp it is a hard solid consistency. It’s ok to substitute with butter.
Combine the melted coconut and sugar and cream well. Add in room temperature eggs and blend well. Add the sour cream and chia seeds and blend. Add the vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda and blend. Add the mashed bananas and blend well. Add the Flour and blend well, followed by the pecans, cranberries and apricots.
Using an ice cream scooper, put one scoop of batter each in a paper lined muffin pan. Bake for 22 minutes or until done. Makes approximately 16 muffins.
Enjoy-
Susie Tronti

No comments:

Post a Comment