Welcome to my BlogSpot. I have created this blog in hopes of inspiring everyone to cook. I have found my inspiration from living in both Southern and Northern California. My influences in flavors have come from family recipes and meals with emphasis on healthy foods, marrying into an Italian family and the ethnic flavors throughout California. There are so many wonderful memories connected to our family dishes as well as new memories in the dishes that have been recently created. My husband, Randy who is recently retired, has been my biggest supporter and inspiration in our kitchen. He is my taster, my sous chef, and has created some really great dishes himself, which will be added to this blog. It is my hope that you too will be inspired to cook and create your own dishes for your loved ones and enjoy the craft of cooking.

One thing I ask of you is if you print out, email and pass out my recipes, please include my name and link.

Be sure to check out my Sweaty Equities blog about the ups and downs of crafty projects and our DIY remodels.
You can find it at http://sweatyequities.blogspot.com/

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Golden Beet Salad with Thai Green Curry Dressing

Have you ever been inspired by a type of food used in an unconventional way? I have. A few months back my friend Theresa posted Zucchini Spaghetti. How did she get the Zucchini into those long noodles. She told me she got one of those spiralizers. I looked it up and saw all kinds of brands and knew I had to have one. Last week I bought a Spirooli. We had company in from out of town and Ed, the brother-in-law, was supposed to be on a strict vegan diet. I decided to make zucchini spaghetti, with my homemade marinara and it was a big hit.
Fast forward to today. I was at the grocery store in the produce section and the golden beets looked wonderful. “I am going to make a salad with it.” The wheels got to spinning and this is what I came up with.



Golden Beet Salad with Thai Green Curry Dressing
3 Large Golden Beets
2/3 cup Pecans
½ cup Dried Cherries
For the dressing (Combine the below ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth)
½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1-1/2 Teaspoons Grated Ginger
2 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard
1 tablespoon Thai Green Curry Paste
3 teaspoons White spice Rub (click for recipe)
½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Medium Shallot
Clean and peel the outer layer of the beets. Spiralize the beets into a pile on a cutting board. 


With a large knife, cut an X across the pile. This will help in not having such long pieces for the salad. Combine the beets, pecans and dried cherries and toss with the dressing. Let it chill for 2 hours before serving.

~Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment