Welcome to my BlogSpot. I have created this blog in hopes of inspiring everyone to cook. I have found my inspiration from living in both Southern and Northern California. My influences in flavors have come from family recipes and meals with emphasis on healthy foods, marrying into an Italian family and the ethnic flavors throughout California. There are so many wonderful memories connected to our family dishes as well as new memories in the dishes that have been recently created. My husband, Randy who is recently retired, has been my biggest supporter and inspiration in our kitchen. He is my taster, my sous chef, and has created some really great dishes himself, which will be added to this blog. It is my hope that you too will be inspired to cook and create your own dishes for your loved ones and enjoy the craft of cooking.

One thing I ask of you is if you print out, email and pass out my recipes, please include my name and link.

Be sure to check out my Sweaty Equities blog about the ups and downs of crafty projects and our DIY remodels.
You can find it at http://sweatyequities.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roasted Mexican Tortilla Soup


 

Roasted Mexican Tortilla Soup
1 Roasted Whole Chicken, shredded
16 Vine Ripened Tomatoes
4 Jalapeño peppers
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Large Red Onion, cut in half
3 –Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Teaspoon Crushed Red pepper
5 –Stalks Celery, sliced
1-1/2 Teaspoons Cumin
1 Teaspoon Mexican Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
5 –Large Carrots, sliced
6 –Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Quart Chicken Stock
1 –Large Zucchini, sliced
1 –Bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Tortilla Chips, crushed
Avocado,
Sour Cream



Season and roast your whole chicken, 350 degrees for about 1-1/2 - 2 hours, depending on the size of the chicken, or until it reaches 180 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh. I use my Red Spice Rub (click to navigate to the spice rub recipe) to season the chicken.
Place the tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and red onion, and on a grill. Slightly blacken the skins of the bell pepper and jalapeño peppers by roasting them over the hottest part of the grill.  Put grill marks on the onion halves, and grill the tomatoes until soft.  Remove the vegetables and place the bell peppers and jalapeño peppers in a sealed container for 15 minutes to sweat the skins off.  Let the vegetables cool a bit before handling. Peel the skins and remove the seeds off the peppers. Dice the onions, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and tomatoes. .  To save time, I use a food processor and pulse until chopped.

In a large stock pot, combine the olive oil, crushed red pepper, onions, jalapeño peppers, bell pepper, celery, carrots and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the spice rub, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.  Cook for 1 more minute.  Add the chopped tomatoes, and chicken stock, then season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add the shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the zucchini and cilantro and simmer for 10 more minutes or until the zucchini is tender crisp.
Garnish with cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream and avocado.
Serves 8
* You may choose to buy your whole chicken already roasted at the grocery store to save time.

By Susie Tronti

No comments:

Post a Comment