Welcome to my BlogSpot. I have created this blog in hopes of inspiring everyone to cook. I have found my inspiration from living in both Southern and Northern California. My influences in flavors have come from family recipes and meals with emphasis on healthy foods, marrying into an Italian family and the ethnic flavors throughout California. There are so many wonderful memories connected to our family dishes as well as new memories in the dishes that have been recently created. My husband, Randy who is recently retired, has been my biggest supporter and inspiration in our kitchen. He is my taster, my sous chef, and has created some really great dishes himself, which will be added to this blog. It is my hope that you too will be inspired to cook and create your own dishes for your loved ones and enjoy the craft of cooking.

One thing I ask of you is if you print out, email and pass out my recipes, please include my name and link.

Be sure to check out my Sweaty Equities blog about the ups and downs of crafty projects and our DIY remodels.
You can find it at http://sweatyequities.blogspot.com/

Friday, April 20, 2012

Susie's Red Spice Rub


I use this spice rub for so many things. I first came up with the recipe to sprinkle liberally on pork shoulder and roast off in the oven to brown, then pour a bottle of beer in the pan, cover and slow cook 225 degrees for about 8 hours. I use the pork shoulder for tamales, enchiladas and even chili. I have found this spice rub to be versatile and you will see this rub added to many of my recipes, like baby back ribs, chicken (for tacos), and buffalo wings. I add extra cayenne to the rub for an extra kick for my buffalo wings, and chili powder to the rub for chili. (for chili ¼ cup red spice rub and 1 tablespoon chili powder) I will soon be linking my chili recipe to this post so stay tuned.
I buy my spices at Smart & Final because I can get them cheaper than the grocery stores. I go through a lot of spices and I put all my spice rubs in the empty spice bottles.

If you make these spice rubs ahead, you will find that meals are easier to prepare. It really is the flavor foundation to good food. It’s best to sprinkle on your meats and let it set for at least 30 minutes, room temperature. I have recently discovered that if I brush the meat with oil, and then add the spice rub and vacuum seal the meat overnight, it is even better and more tender. If you don’t have a vacuum sealer you can just put it in a covered container overnight.

Susie's Red Spice Rub
¼ Cup Paprika
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Cumin
2 Tablespoons Coriander
2 Tablespoons Oregano
1-1/2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Sugar
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and carefully spoon into a shaker.
* I have also used this rub in my Mexican Tortilla Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment